Built-In Cabinet: Finishing and Installing

In our last blog we talked about how we made the built-in cabinet. While that was great, there was still a lot left to do. The next step was to get the finish done. I have used and hvlp spray gun in the past, and rolled/brushed other projects as well. For this project, I decided to get a new spray gun to use (since my other one was old and not the greatest).

Before painting, we needed to prepare the work piece. I filled in any needed areas with epoxy putty or wood filler and then sanded up to 180 grit. After this, it was time for priming. I set up a spray tent for this task. It has the tent, a lazy Susan set up on top of some sawhorses along with a box fan and filter in the back for ventilation.

I used Sherwin Williams premium wood primer and diluted it about 15-20 percent with water. This went on well with the fuji mini mite hvlp sprayer that I used (I also changed out the spray tip that came with the gun to a 1.8mm spray tip for higher output). After everything was primed, I did a light sanding again with 220 grit.

After that, I set up a full spray room in my garage. I used thin plastic to make an enclosed room big enough for all my pieces. I made sure to use full protective equipment for this task.  The pain I used was also from Sherwin Williams. It is a urethane enamel. The color we shoes was Swiss coffee. This one I diluted to about 12 percent with water. It didn’t need as much as the primer did, and went on pretty smooth.

After the painting, I had to get the space ready for the cabinets. I removed the baseboards and then set the toe kicks in place. I used shims to level these out and then connected them to each other and the studs in the wall. Next, I set the cabinet boxes on them and also secured them to each other and the studs. I did not bother to connect them to the toe-kicks since they are already both secured in place.

After that, I installed the top piece, screwing it in place through the upper supports in the cabinets. Then it was on to installing the drawers. This was just a matter of getting the slides screwed in and then attaching the drawer faces.

Then, I added some shoe molding to the bottom and a small piece of trim along the wall to cover up a small gap (caused by the uneven walls). With that done, I finished up with some caulking and touch up painting.

And it was done! We are very happy with how the project came out. I have a full video of the build available on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/JLbZfFBFRdw

Affiliate links for tools, I make a small commission on qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.


Fuji Spray Mini-Mite 4 HVLP Spray System: https://amzn.to/3uqzqpE

Fuji Spray 6-Foot Flexible Whip Hose: https://amzn.to/3oqEsyz

Fuji Spray 5100-5 Aircap Set #5 for T-Series: https://amzn.to/3IZIDJA

Hurricane Box Fan: https://amzn.to/3Gs3fIS

6 Inches Lazy Susan: https://amzn.to/35NA7iB

Wagner Medium Spray Shelter: https://amzn.to/3oorKjL

Folding Sawhorse: https://amzn.to/3rz5WEp

Mechanical Pencil: https://amzn.to/3uT8mfh

Wood Glue Dispenser: https://amzn.to/3ppyZYa



Tack Rags: https://amzn.to/3une7Fk

Paint Strainers: https://amzn.to/3AUjMUO

Disposable Flexible Plastic Mixing Cups: https://amzn.to/3sefELs

1 Gallon Pouring Spout: https://amzn.to/3Gp4f0o

20x20x1 Air Filter: https://amzn.to/3GuNd0K

#builtin #built-in #built-incabinets #diycabinets #diyshelves #diycabinetpainting #hvlpsprayer #fujispray #diycabinetinstallation #woodworking #DIY #diyhomeimprovement #buildplans #ETSY #woodworkingplans #HVLP #Fujiminimite #Fujisprayer #painting #diyinstallation #diypainting