With the cabinets made, I was finally able to move to the finishing step of my miter saw station build. To install the miter saw, I made and installed a platform in between the cabinets, being extra careful to ensure the table of the miter saw was even with the top of the cabinets.
Next up was installing some T-track to use with a stop block. I used a router to make a dado groove for this and screwed the track into place. To make things easier, I got some metallic, self-adhesive measuring tape to imbed into the cabinet tops next to the T-track. This way I never have to worry about grabbing the tape measure and making marks. I have a left to right reading one on one side and right to left on the other, that way I can get accurate measurements no matter which side of the saw I am cutting from.
The next step was to add some dust collection. Since this is not intended to be my permanent miter saw (at some point I will be upgrading), I decided to forgo making a hood/cover for the miter saw. I am using a dedicated shop vac along with a dust separator under the platform. And since I always forget to turn my vacuum on, I also added in an automatic vacuum switch. I am so glad that I did, because it works great!
The last step was to add some finish to the top surface. I decided just to do some wipe on poly since that’s what the rest of the cabinets are finished with. In the end, it doesn’t matter much what the top finish is since it will get abused no matter what. And if it gets too damaged, I can always replace the top while keeping the rest of the miter saw station in place.